Thursday, June 29, 2006

Things Have Changed

"People are crazy and times are strange
I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
I used to care, but things have changed."

--Bob Dylan, Things Have Changed

Bobby is right, times are strange. And it's odd how I can gauge that. Last night, the annual draft for the NBA occured. That is when the general managers and other head honcho's for the 30 teams in the National Basketball Association get together to pick players from college teams and other international organizations to better their own teams.

For some reason, even though I am not always the biggest fan of watching basketball on TV, I get a great kick out of the business of it. That goes for a lot of sports. In fact, when I play the video game versions, I spend more time on the business aspect of thins than playing the actual games.

I began watching the NBA draft in 1992, for 2 primary reasons--Shaquille O'neal and Anthony Peeler. Shaquille was touted as an animal athelete. He was 7 feet and 1 inch tall and around 300 pounds of man. The Orlando Magic drafted him with the first pick, which they earned through a lottery of the worst teams. He was to be their savior. Shaq did take them to the NBA Finals during the 1995-96 season, but left them in the following offseason for the L.A. Lakers.

During that 1992 NBA Draft, the Lakers selected Anthony Peeler with the 15th pick. Peeler was from the University of Missouri, and the first big pick from my area since Anthony Bonner went to the Sacramento Kings as the 23rd pick in the 1990 Draft. It was exciting since this type of thing didn't happen often. Peeler's career hasn't amounted to much, except for him being a solid player to have off the bench. He did lead the league in three point field goal percentage during the 2003-04 season with the Washington Wizards.

We know where Shaq's career has gone. He just nabbed his 4th NBA title ring with the Miami Heat, the team he left the Lakers for in 2004 after some public feuding with Kobe Bryant.

Since that amazing draft in 1992 that reeled me into the drama of the business of sports, professional basketball in particular, I have watched it every year, at least the first round, since. Keep in mind, I am not the jocky, sporty type of guy. I fit into a more dorky, nerdy mold, if any.

During my high school years, this annual observance involved my good friend, Picklehead, who shared the same passion as I did. We even incorporated the video games, by creating many of the drafted players and trying them out on their new teams. After I graduated, I still watched, but with less enthusiastic parties, that laughed at me for my enjoyment of the business and not the sport itself.

It still was a ritual for me that lasted until this year. It wasn't because the prospects for the draft weren't as good, which they weren't. It wasn't that I didn't have anyone to share my love for it with, which I haven't in a while. My wife thinks it is silly, as much as some of my previous friends have.

Things have changed though.

I have moved out of my parents' place, becoming more independent, but with that, poorer and without cable. Now I am married and currently jobless.

I did have the internet to keep up to date on the happenings of the Draft, but it wasn't the same. Seeing names appearing on my screen wasn't like watching it all unfold with predictions from commentators and interviews with the draftees, who are now all younger than me, and once their name is announced, much richer than I will ever be.

That's how this country works though. In a way, it is still a beautiful thing. Within seconds, one can become a millionaire, based on athletic prowess, or some other talent, which probably doesn't deserve a pile of money. We pay to see their show for us, though, whether it be professional basketball or some rock star playing a guitar on a stage of pyrotechnics, because it's an escape from the nonsense of our daily lives. We can't bash them for that, because we fund their lives.

I think I'll go shoot some hoops now...shit...can't, I have a job interview.



Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget that happiness is a success not gauged by money. For example, since you are mentioning the NBA, look at how many players end up getting into trouble with the law by beating their wives or others and getting expensive divorces that leave them with half of their fortune and much less of their pride. Is that still a success?

Thursday, June 29, 2006 6:39:00 PM  
Blogger Sun St. Louis Editorial Board said...

As to jeremy byington's comments... success is measured in exactly this way: premium top success is when you beat your wife so badly that she goes to the hospital, middle aged success is when you beat your wife unremarkable during an act of 'angry sex', and a complete failure of any kind of success is when your wife beats you over the head with a frying pan for cheating. Don't believe me? Just ask my cheatin' pal Willie Washington the pizza chef at Imo's to explain about how he got his large calcium deposit on the very peak of his cranium.

As to being married and jobless: I've tried it, it ain't all it is cracked up to be. Make her get a job. That ain't all it is cracked up to be either, but I have one final suggestion as to the jorblessness and the being married and having them both happen at the same time. If I have learned anything about being poor, jorbless, and married, it is that love, though it may conquer all, does not like to starve to death. So my suggestion is that if the jorblessness causes any serious lack of food, may I suggest asking your friends and family to have you over for at least one good meal a day. It will keep your love from starving until your family and friends get so tired of the both of you that they finally suggest to one of their hiring friends that they hire one or both of you.

Though this has not exactly gotten me a job yet, it has kept my love from starving, and thereby saved my life more than a few times.

P.S. If you don't have a job, perhaps you should get a JORB

If you don't want to get so bored because you are jorbless, please feel free to also watch this important JORB reference that isn't BORING

Monday, July 03, 2006 1:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home